Friday, March 5, 2010

I definitely think it was a good idea to add the chapters about both Walt and Krakauer as individuals. To know that Chris was upset about what his father had done without him ever knowing for so many years changes the reason he had no trust in his parents. If there was this other "family" that your parents had ties with it'd change things, and to know this about Chris gave me a better picture. As for Krakauer and his similarities to Chris, it really gave me that credibility I needed. No other author with Krakauer's talents and expertise could write such a novel with the strength that he has in his voice without partaking in somewhat of a journey.

Nothing really changed as for the book, but it definitely backed up the feelings I had. I never really knew why Chris was so unattached to his parents. I realize the farther you get away from your parents some people part becuase of various situations but knowing the background of Chris's family showed me there may even be more complications that just weren't in the text. Taking Chris's side or thinking he's insane and stupid are the two viewpoints that people have had. For Krakauer to have a very personal viewpoint and have a reason for the way he feels adds more support to what he says.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. If I found out that one of my parents had another family that I didn't know about I would be furious. That's a really big secret to hide, and finding that out can make your parent's whole life seem like a lie. I totally understand how Chris got so upset about the situation. I also agree with how Krakauer's section didn't change my feelings, but reinforced them. By Krakauer giving his story of an adventure similar to Chris', it backs up Chris' feelings and thoughts. Krakauer's story also adds credibility and shows that he is informed about the topic from first hand accounts.
    As for how there could be more complications with Chris' life not shown in the text it makes me wonder. Was there anything else that sparked Chris' departure that nobody knows about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krakauer giving more insight about Chris' life does shed some light on why he didn't like his family entirely. This important information helped me figure out my perspective about Chris as well, changing my views from him being foolish to him actually having a point for his actions. Krakauer could really relate and convey ideas that others who had not participated in such events couldn't have.

    It just provides more concrete details for the reader. This sort of reminds me about judging other cultures; the best way to know about one's culture is to live in it, knoing all the background information and events that influence it. Anyways, that's my two cents about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, living a lie your whole life would blow your socks off. It's a cliche, but you wouldn't know who you were anymore. And getting to hear it from Krakauer himself, about himself gives us a better opportunity to understand. It is good your opinions about the book didn't change. You say they were effective chapters and by saying that your thoughts about the book remained the same means, to me, they really were.

    ReplyDelete